Happy New Year, everybody! (I sound like Doctor Nick from the Simpsons. Oh well.) Welcome to 2012! This is a very special new year post. I confess that this might seem a little late to some people, however, I have prepared two arguments against this: A) I was on holiday on January 1st, and B) If you consider the date of the Chinese New Year (23 January), then in fact this post is early, and my choice to post this in between the dates of either new year is my diplomatic way of not affiliating with a particular new year. So there.
Speaking of the Chinese New Year, 2012 is the year of the Dragon (I just found the “colour” button today). The year of the dragon is considered to be an extra lucky year, and if you were born in the year of the dragon then this will be a super lucky year for you. Congratulations!
Not only is 2012 supposed to be a lucky year for pretty much everyone, especially the dragons, there are loads of other things that are happening or special in 2012. This might sound a little optimistic, considering the year has only just started, but there’s good reason to be that way! (Just a quick warning: there is going to be a list now. For those of you who follow this blog, you will know that my last two posts and the third page on here consisted mainly of lists. I admit I am addicted to lists and am currently searching for a Listoholics Anonymous in the Middle East. For now I can only apologise to all katalogosophobics reading this.)
Things That Are Happening Or Special In 2012
1. It will be the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee, which is good if you like: the Queen, diamonds, celebrations in general, or days off work. As far as I know, the government will be extending the Spring Bank Holiday in order to create an extended weekend for the jubilee celebrations on the 2nd-5th June.
2. The 2012 London Olympics. I think everyone has already heard of this one. Ian Thorpe is also apparently attempting to qualify for the Olympics. If he does, then his swimming against Michael Phelps will be something to look forward to in itself.
3. Alan Turing Year. 2012 is being called Alan Turing Year by some people, in celebration of the English mathematician, pioneer of computer science, and wartime codebreaker’s 100th birthday. His exact birthday will be celebrated on 23rd June.
4. Curiosity rover lands on Mars. The NASA rover Curiosity is set to land on the surface of Mars on August 6th. One of its chief goals is to provide information in preparation for the planning of a human mission to Mars.
5. Leap year. 2012 is a leap year. People born on February 29th, this is your time to shine!
6. Book-to-movie adaptations. Loads of books have big screen adaptations coming out this year, including the eagerly anticipated The Hobbit, Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter, The Hunger Games, Arrietty (based on The Borrowers by Mary Norton), The Life of Pi, and part two of The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn.
All in all, I’d say that’s quite a lot to look forward to. Oh, and I forgot to mention one more thing coming soon – more blog posts!